Delicious Nuance: Maureen C. Berry Schools Us on Sustainable Salmon
We enjoyed our June 2016 conversation with salmon expert Maureen C. Berry, author and photographer of the tasty Salmon from Market to Plate. Full of information about why and how to purchase and prepare sustainable salmon, this self-published book features 10 salmon recipes by professional chefs as well as an array of everyday salmon recipes from her own well-appointed kitchen.
Maureen and I first met a few years back at the Sustainable Foods Institute in the northern Central Coast presented by the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Seafood Watch program. I love meeting other writers, especially those who delve into the world of sustainable food and drink. Maureen and I hit it off immediately in the midst of this rich, terrifying, and wonderful conference with hands down the best food. From the start, she impressed me with her ability to keep to her personal editorial calendar so it’s little wonder that she managed to bring her own book project across the finish line. Congratulations Maureen!
Now in western Kentucky after many years living in south Florida, Maureen works in her home office that seems an extension of the open kitchen. Led by her beloved, spoiled wire fox terrier, with our coffee cups we slip outside to the sheltered patio that overlooks the woods and the wild critters that visit the perimeter of her pretty yard. When she’s not working on her “Sustainable Seafood Kitchen” cookbook series one species at a time, she’s exploring the nearby woods with camera in hand for visions of wildlife and natural beauty.
- Salmon from Market to Plate by Maureen C. Berry
- Sustainable Foods Institute presented by the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Seafood Watch program
- Barton Seaver, sustainable seafood expert and author of For Cod and Country
- Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, Sustainability Message
- Best Aquaculture Practices Certification
- Farmed Salmon by Verlasso
- TwoXSea and Sausalito’s Fish.
- Real Good Fish community supported fishery
—fishing photo: courtesy of Maureen C. Berry