Preparation 500: Needs More Cow Horn?
Biodynamic Gardening Report 5—June 20-26, 2014
Learn about the role of the manure-filled cow horn—Preparation 500—that serves to bring the cosmos into your field and aligns it with the environment.
Biodynamic gardening principles—some of the most ancient agricultural practices on the planet—require the farmer’s attention to moon phases and constellations to pursue the most effective gardening and farming practices on any given day in the month. San Luis Obispo County farmer Ralph Johnson of Jrjohnson Biodynamic Farms provides insight into how the moon’s phases affect gardening success.
- June 20-21 — very good days for weeding, killing garden pests, and other garden maintenance (moon in Aries)
- The last quarter of the moon started June 19, the optimum time for weeding and dealing with pests
- June 22-24 — good days for planting but no need to plant too much at this phase of the moon (moon in Taurus)
- June 25-26 — good days for weeding, killing garden pests & other garden maintenance (moon in Gemini)
- Learn more about culinary lavender and, of course, the cow horn!
—music: “Badfish” by Sublime