Tuscan Bacon and Lentil Soup
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 mild Italian sausages cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 red pepper, medium diced
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup hard lentils
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Sauté bacon. Discard all but 1 Tbs. fat, then sauté onion, parsley, red pepper and carrots for 6 minutes, or until soft, in a pasta pot. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute until light brown. In separate pan, sauté sausage until browned. Discard fat and reserve sausage.
Add water, tomatoes, lentils, and salt to taste. If you are using the pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s, halve the cooking time: simmer for 30 minutes (15 minutes for pre-cooked lentils).
Add reserved sausage.
Serve with a bowl of Parmesan cheese on the side.
This article first appeared on colorandaroma.com
photo: Deborah Alexander
food styling: Sasha Emerson